Ramsbottom took to the field hoping to build on their unbeaten start to the season as they took on Glossop North End at the Riverside Stadium on Saturday.

Harry Williams Riverside Stadium
Saturday 2 September 2017
Evo-Stik North Division
Attendance: 304

The hosts showed 4 changes to their starting eleven from the Bank Holiday victory over Radcliffe but it was Glossop who started the brighter in this eagerly awaiting contest.

The visitors took advantage of their positive start and took the lead on 7 minutes when the lively Jude Oyibo was tripped in the penalty box by Luke Thompson and ex England Youth International Courtney Meppen-Walter confidently dispatched the spot kick to give Glossop a deserved lead.

Glossop looked to add to their goal advantage with Oyibo and  Brazel looking particular threats and giving the Rams a difficult start to the game, indeed Oyibo showed his pace with an exceptional run that took him from his own half all the way into the Ramsbottom penalty box before Martin Fearon saved at the wide man’s feet.

Glossop’s good start was punctuated with a couple of long range efforts from the Rams via the respective boots of midfielders Tom Brooks and Jamie Rother which were on target without seriously testing Saunders in the visitors goal.

The Rams were struggling to get a foothold in the match and Glossop threatened to add to their lead when Oyibo again found his way past the hosts defence before sending a low shot that Fearon saved well to keep the score line at 1-0 to the visitors from the High Peak.

Perhaps the home sides best goal scoring chance arrived as the half hour approached when ex Glossop player Ben Richardson sent in a cross from the right touchline which found Greg Daniels whose header sailed over the crossbar.

Ramsbottom could perhaps have fallen further behind when a shot from the impressive Brazel was tipped wide before good work by Glossop striker Deegan send Chippendale through on goal whose shot clipped the outside of the post leaving the home supporters somewhat relieved that their side only trailed by a single goal.

As is often the case when one side don’t take their chances the opposition takes advantage and this happened on 37 minutes when another strong run down the left flank from the impressive Kyle Brownhill resulted in a low shot finding its way past the diving Saunders and the contest was level at 1-1. The Rams could have gone into the half time break in front when the ball was cleared to the industrious Brooks whose blistering shot from the edge of the penalty area was tipped wide by the Glossop goal keeper as an excellent half of football came to a conclusion all square.

Ramsbottom ended the first half on top and the second period began in similar fashion as the hosts were hoping to maintain their 100% home record as the influential Daniels fired a shot over the goal when well placed.

The hosts took the lead on 52 minutes when Daniels sent in a pinpoint cross from the right which found Jerome Wright who planted a perfectly placed header past the despairing dive of Saunders and into the bottom corner to give the hosts the lead.

Glossop found themselves behind but looked to try and get back into the contest as the hour mark approached but it must be noted that the influence of Oyibo was waning as new signing Marcus Poscha made an assured debut at right full back. Meppen-Walter had the visitor’s first effort of note after the restart when firing a free kick wide of Fearon’s post with theark Rams goal keeper rooted to the spot.

Manager Mark Fell made his first substitution mid way through the half when Max Hazeldine replaced Ben Richardson as the Rams looked to add some pace to their attack. Glossop responded with a couple of changes of their own with another striker joining the fray when Chippendale left the field to be replaced by Johnson.

The match was finely balanced with Ramsbottom looking likely to add to their 2-1 lead as the contest went into the last 15 minutes as Alex Meaney replaced the impressive Poscha with the versatile and often under rated Dean Stott reverting to right full back.

A fourth goal did arrive with just under 15 minutes remaining when substitute Hasler-Cregg embarked on a mazy run before sending a shot which hit the post before falling kindly to Ben Deegan who tapped into the net from six yards out to even the game up at 2-2.

The Rams reacted in a positive manner when an outstanding run and cross from Hazeldine found Rother who shot over the bar when well positioned. Not to be deterred the home side retook the lead again when a long throw from Jerome Wright was flicked on and there was Hazeldine to head home his first goal of the season to restore the home side’s advantage.

The match was developing into an end to end affair with Glossop looking for a third goal which they nearly got when a Brazel header hit the crossbar from a corner much to the relief of the home supporters in a healthy crowd of 304 at the HWRS.

With the clock ticking towards 90 minutes the sixth and final goal of a pulsating match arrived when a Meppen-Walter header was cleared off the line before the excellent Tom Brooks won a crunching challenge before setting up a devastating counter attack with Max Hazeldine running with the ball to the penalty box before passing to Greg Daniels who laid the match clinching goal on for the tireless Jamie Rother to tap into the net and give the Rams an unassailable lead.

The last goal summed up the team ethic that is evident to see in this Ramsbottom United side, both Max Hazeldine and Greg Daniels could quite easily have taken the shots themselves but decided to pass to a team mate in a better position rather than go for personal glory.

Another excellent performance from Ramsbottom United particularly in the second half that must have delighted players, staff and supporters alike as they remain unbeaten in the league campaign and rise to 2nd in the fledgling league table.

Manager Mark Fell commented on the victory after the game.

“Our second half performance was an absolute pleasure to watch. It took us a while to adjust to their style, Ben Deegan caused us problems early on as we struggled to deal with the 2nd phase and runners off him, but we made some adjustments and it nullified that, then we came to life. There’s no doubt we dominated the 2nd half and when they scored for 2-2 I felt it was unjust, but we once again showed character, heart and determination, Max changed the game from the bench and he scored the 3rd and helped set up the 4th. It’s a big big win for us, confidence is high, but we won’t get carried away and we will need to raise our game again against Trafford on Friday.”

Ramsbottom United: Fearon, Poscha (Meaney 75 mins), Brownhill,Stott, Thompson, Roscoe, Brooks( Webb 93 mins), Rother ,Richardson (Hazeldine 69 mins), Daniels, Wright.  Subs not used: Williams, Taberner

FRIDAY 8th SEPTEMBER   Evo-Stik North  RAMS v Trafford FC  7.45pm

***Please note: The game Droylsden v RAMS scheduled for Saturday 16th September has been postponed due to Droylsden’s progress in the FA Cup.

Leave a comment