Saturday 28th September 2019

Workington Town v Ramsbottom United

Bet Victor North West Division

Attendance: 469

Report by Damien Barlow

As the Rams headed off on the road for the 5th consecutive Saturday and sent the click count past the 1000 miles mark for the season, Chris Wilcocks men would be keen to shake the malaise from last week’s heavy cup defeat at Gateshead, and a top of the table clash at Borough Park would seem to be the perfect antidote.

It was the visitors who got proceedings underway and could have taken the lead inside 30 seconds as Kennedy worked the ball from wide left on for Josh Hmami’s glancing header to be easily collected by Atkinson in the home goal.

Anyone with a Ramsbottom persuasion may want to look away now, as the first forty five minutes turned into the Workington roadshow.

Three minutes in and the first offer of encouragement for the home sides front line was served up. A long ball forward that had initially been dealt with by Perkins was then headed back to Stewart from Adelitoye, who for some reason decided against collecting the ball and punched it towards the edge of the area and in his attempt to finally grab the ball inadvertently handled outside the box. Fortunately the direct free kick which was hit hard and low was dealt with by the wall.

Another chance for the hosts moments later, as Scott Alisson teased Kennedy down the right who worked the ball onto his left but dragged his shot wide of the near post.

Town didn’t have to wait long for their deserved breakthrough, six minutes in and their early dominance and relentless tempo paid dividends as good work down the left from Symington found Allison unmarked but his shot was only parried into the path of the another unmarked Charlie Bowman who had the simple task of turning the ball home.

6 minutes Workington 1 Ramsbottom 0

As the pressure continued to grow Scott Allison was proving to be pivotal in the middle of the park and again his energy took him past a couple half challenges and he released Brad Carroll on the right channel, who looked marginally offside but fortunately sent his shot wide of the far post.

More good play from Cassington, Brockbank and Symington on fifteen minutes ended with the latter getting a shot away on the angle but Tom Stewart this time had the front post covered and the danger was temporarily averted.

Moments later and the lead was doubled. A harmless goal kick evaded Perkins and the impressive Allison with an even more impressive first touch allowed him to wrong foot the recovering defender and slot away a deft left foot shot into the far corner leaving Stewart with no chance.

17 minutes Workington 2 Ramsbottom 0

Twenty three minutes and things went from bad to worse. An in-swinging corner which wasn’t dealt with fell to 4 consecutive Workington players who must all be wondering how a third wasn’t added, but somehow and Rams defender was able to get something in the way and keep the score at 2. Again shortly afterwards and the Cumbrian juggernaut continued to smell blood as Jay Kelly turned Kennedy one way then the other and floated a cross to the far post, just clearing his onrushing teammate.

The half hour came and things did become more bleak for the visitors. Tinnion won a ball he wasn’t really favourite to do raced forward and sought Allison who in turn found Bowman who again couldn’t believe his luck wih the space he found himself in picked his spot and sent the ball past a helpless Stewart.

30 minutes Workington 3 Ramsbottom 0

With 5 minutes left on the first half clock the home side added insult to injury as a fourth goal was added. A 40 yard cross field ball from Brockbank found Symington who found himself with the freedom of the town again, beat Adelitoye with ease and after working the ball onto his left side drilled his shot away into the far corner.

39 minutes Workington 4 Ramsbottom 0

Shortly before the break and some light relief for the away side, as Evangelinos worked a ball from the left hand side and as Rother gambled at the near post, turned in the his teams first shot on target since the opening seconds.

42 minutes Workington 4 Ramsbottom 1

The normality that top of the table games can sometimes become chess like was certainly not part of the agenda in the first half with Workington swarming forward at will and Ramsbottom becoming suffocated with the intensity and incessant pressure from the home side. With more accuracy from their efforts and last week’s conceded 6 could have quite easily been surpassed before Rothers consolation.

Half Time Workington 4 Ramsbottom 1

Evidence of the half time chat showed with all three substitutions being made with Chukwu, Osi-Efa and Hmami being replaced with Jones, Maher and Murphy and a change in formation with 3 at the back as the search for some positives began.

With a slightly less frantic start to the second half, the first chance still inevitably fell to the home side. An in swinging free kick from Symington found the head of Dan Wordsworth at the back post but his looping header landed on the roof of the goal.

Workingtons search for more goals continued as Symington now terrorising Murphy sent his ball in field for Allison but his shot was wayward and allowed his opponents off the hook.

Shy of the hour and Stewart should have been picking the ball out the net for a 5th time. Tinnion again winning the ball in the middle and quickly released sub Waterson in behind Lugdsen, how ever the ball slowing up in what seemed to be a longer than normal lawn forced him to check his run and momentum was lost as he sent his shot wide.

Sixty five minutes and the Rams had their third effort on goal. An Evangelinos corner was met by the head of Murphy but his effort reflected the teams performance and was way off the mark.

Brockbank who hadn’t been the threat of the first half had an opportunity to dance away down the left and made the most of his time in possession and rifled a ball accross the 6 yard line. Stewart was brave and collected the ball at the feet of Waterson.

Another half chance for the Rams as Karl Jones controlled a high ball into the area, nudged towards Evangelinos who’s scuffed effort left Atkinson flat footed, watch agonisingly as the ball rolled inches wide.

Ramsbottom were almost gifted a second goal as a Kennedy corner was headed against his own bar by a home defender. As everyone seemed to stop the danger was cleared.

Workingtons 5th goal did arrive on 78 minutes. Brad Hubbold lost the ball to 3 Rams players on the half way line but somehow managed to wrestle it back from their grasp and found Waterson behind the back line and this time made no mistake as he cooly slotted his effort away under the onrushing Stewart.

78 minutes Workington 5 Ramsbottom 1

Waterson again had the opportunity to add to his and his teams tally as he found himself on the 6 yard line completely alone but this still wasn’t enough time for him to sort his feet out and Murphy managed to divert a potential 6th goal.

The shots off target count was rising steadily for the home side, this time Allison was the guilty party as his shot from 7 yards flew over the bar.

As the assistant referee held up 3 minutes, the visitors knew their misery would soon be put to an end. A day and performance to forget and stark realisation that with more composure and discipline from the home sides finishing and the score line could have been bordering on embarrassment.

With a return to home soil next week, a much improved showing will be the least the management and supporters alike will demand.

Full Time Workington 5 Ramsbottom 1

Team Stewart, Adelitoye, Kennedy (c), Lugsden, Perkins, Osi-Efa (Murphy 45′), Hmami (Jones 45′), Rother, Chukwu (Maher 45′), Naidole, Evangelinos

Unused subs: Gooden & Fawns

Leave a comment