A new era began at the HWRS as new manager Chris Willcock made his first appearance in the Rammy dugout, taking over from Mark Fell who resigned only five days previous.

Willcock made four changes to the side held at Kendal a week previous. Jack Higgs, Tom Brooks, Nathan Brown and Curtis Jones were replaced by Ryan Ellison and new signings Khalil Osi-Efa, Ruben Jerome and returning to the HWRS was midfielder Eddie Moran.

The Rams began the new era on the front, the Rams players looking to impress both manager and fans alike. The start was lively, visitors Chasetown were under the cosh from the word go.

The Rams had an early sight at goal as early as the third minute with Jerome Wright almost charging down a loose Chasetown backpass.

The first proper chance for the Rams came on twelve minutes when new signing Ruben Jerome beat the offside trap to find himself through on goal one on one with Chasetown keeper Curtis Pond.

Yet It wasn’t the perfect start for Jerome as the shot was expertly saved by Pond. From the corner, Wright could only fire wide.

However the dominance soon payed off as the home side were ahead minutes later. Eddie Moran let fly from distance yet Pond could only turn the ball out for a corner.

Luke Thompson headed higher than anyone in the box to send the ball past Pond in the Chasetown net, handing Rammy a deserved one nil lead on the fifteen minute mark.

It should have been two less than ten minutes later, but Lee Gaskell’s shot on the turn was comfortably saved.

Vistors Chasetown were living dangerously and their afternoon was made far worse when Lee Gaskell was brought down in the box. Referee Darren Brown having no choice but to point to the spot.

Jerome Wright converted with a finish straight down the middle to give Rammy a seemingly healthy lead.

Chasetown came roaring back in the thirty-eighth minute with a goal of their own. George Cater turned the ball home from a goalmouth scramble, the team in red going into halftime back in the game.

Second half:

The second half began role reversal from the first. Chasetown spent the majority of the half on top, yet Ruben Jerome could have restored Rammy’s two goal cushion midway threw the half, only to be denied by Pond.

The final fifteen minutes saw a charge at goal by Chasetown and brought a wonderful array of saves from Sam Ashton. Sub Muzzy Nduna was denied by Ashton at point blank range.

Then minutes later Jonathan Beaumont had a header which also couldn’t beat Ashton. Cater thought he had leveled the scores only moments later, but Ashton was able to keep the Rams at a one goal advantage.

However Chasetown’s dominance soon prevailed as Rammy threw away the lead. Another mix up in the Ramsbottom goal area concluded with Cater firing home a deserved leveller, a goal that turned out to be decisive.

The visitors could have completed an extraordinary comeback yet the home side held on for a point. The way the second half went, new manager Chris Willcock will probably have settled for one by the end.

Rams team: Ashton, Jacobs, Kennedy, Osi-Efa, Thompson, Ellison, Dean, Moran, Gaskell (Stott 65′), Jerome (Higgs 79′), Wright

Unused subs: Brooks, Hart, Foulds

Attendance: 165

Referee: Darren Brown

Leave a comment