The Rams followed up their opening day victory against Tadcaster with a tricky looking trip to Colwyn Bay on Tuesday night.  With two changes to the starting line up from Saturday, Eddie Moran made his full debut whilst Tom Williams got a starting berth at the expense of George Pierce and Lee Gaskell.

Llaneilan Road, Colwyn Bay
Tuesday 15 August 2017
Evo-Stik Northern Premier League North Division
Attendance: 230

The visitors couldn’t have asked for a better start when on three minutes a ball was played out to Jerome Wright who was on a high from his two goals on Saturday found space on the left hand side of the box before sending a shot over the home keeper which hit the far post before nestling into the back of the net to give the Rams an early lead.

The goal brought discussions amongst the travelling supporters as to whether the goal was a cross shot or perfectly executed finish?  The conclusion appeared to suggest that as it was Jerome Wright, the latter was the case.

The home side responded to going behind with some good possession football resulting in a couple of shots from distance which visiting keeper Fearon dealt with in his usual understand manner.

Sadly for the Rams the home sides’ pressure brought a reward on 16 minutes when a left wing cross found an unmarked Booth in the box who planted a header past Fearon to level the match up at 1-1.

Parity didn’t last for long as five minutes after the equaliser a clumsy challenge to home skipper Barnes on the impressive Daniels resulted in the referee pointing to the penalty spot.  Up stepped the Rams striker to despatch the spot kick in emphatic fashion to give the visitors the advantage with a quarter of the match played.

Ramsbottom were playing their part in an entertaining game in North Wales with some excellent passing football coupled with a huge amount of effort and determination to hold onto their deserved lead.  Both sides were looking threatening in the attacking third as the half wore on as number of shots were exchanged between two evenly matched teams.

Fearon was called into action late in the first half as a header was touched around the post as the hosts looked to end the first period on level terms.  As the half came to a conclusion the Rams had a merited lead and hopes were high amongst the travelling faithful that they may be witnessing a 100% start to the season.

The teams re-emerged for the second half which began with the home side taking the initiative and attacking with vigour causing some problems down both flanks to the Rams defence which were being given a tough test but battling resiliently to protect their slender lead.  The home side were winning a number of set pieces as the hosts began to turn up the heat on the Rams.

The momentum appeared to be building for Colwyn Bay and the Rams were struggling to create too much in the way of chances in the opening 15 minutes of the second period.

Indeed the equalising goal arrived just after the hour mark when a fiercely hit cross from the right was headed in by the unmarked Mulholland to level the scores at 2-2.

Then Rams manager Mark Fell responded with a substitution shortly after the goal with Ben Richardson making his Rams debut at the expense of Tom Williams.

The change had a positive impact as Ramsbottom began to get a foothold back in the match as they looked to retake the lead for a third time with Heathcote firing over the bar and Brooks having a goal bound shot blocked by a Bay defender.  Jamie Rother was then introduced from the bench in place of Heathcote as Fell made his second change of the night.

Both teams were looking to find a decisive goal as the clock ticked towards the 75-minute mark, a superb long range effort from the home side looked to have beaten Fearon but clipped the post much to the relief of all connected with Ramsbottom.  Meanwhile the Rams created a gilt edged chance with Greg Daniels testing home keeper Cooper who could only parry the ball towards the onrushing Richardson who looked set to give the Rams the lead before losing his footing at a crucial time and the ball was cleared by the home defence.

Indeed either outfit could have forced a winner as chances came and went with Jerome Wright again finding himself in a promising position before firing wide of the target with minutes remaining, Colwyn Bay had a great chance to win the game when a cross found its way to the edge of the box before a Bay striker connected but fired wide of the goal.  Shortly after the final whistle sounded as the points were shared in a contest that could have gone either way and both sides could claim they deserved to win.

A hugely enjoyable match ended with the scores level at 2-2, the travelling supporters acknowledged their teams efforts with a well deserved round of applause which was reciprocated by the players and staff in a show of mutual appreciation for their respective endeavours throughout the night.

As the coach neared the HWRS at nearly 1am, manager Mark Fell had the following to say about the night’s events.

“To be honest, when the fixtures came out we had targetted four points from our first two games, but it does feel like we did enough to get all the points tonight.  Other than a 20 minute spell at the start of the second half where I wanted us to carry some momentum from before the break and be a bit braver, I was delighted with how we played.  The lads worked their socks off again and I thought we showed progress from our Tadcaster display.

“I wouldn’t imagine many teams will go there midweek and get points so we’ve got to take the positives.  It was definitely an excellent game for the supporters and I hope the Rams fans who travelled in great numbers felt the lads gave them value for their journey.”

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED: Fearon, Heathcote (Rother 75), Brownhill, Stott, Thompson, Roscoe, Brooks, Moran, Williams (Richardson 64), Daniels, Wright.  Subs not used: Meaney, Gaskell, Hazeldine.



Leave a comment