Ramsbottom United twice came from behind to snatch all three points thanks to two goals in the last ten minutes.

Witton Albion had looked good value for their lead, but let the three points slip away as the home side refused to give up and earned their reward with the late comeback.

It was the Rams who had the first real chance of the match after twelve minutes when Phil Dean saw his header from a deep Grant Spencer cross sail wide of the target, but on 18 minutes, the visitors took the lead.

A cross from the right was met by Josh Hancock and his half-volley flew past Grant Shenton in the home goal.

Dominic Smalley and Spencer combined well only to see the latter’s snap shot from the edge of the box, clear the bar by inches, before Smalley sent in a low cross but no-one was there to meet it and the danger was cleared.

Witton retaliated but were denied when Shenton came flying off his line to dive at the feet of the on-rushing Michael Powell, whilst the post saved the home side as Neil Harvey beat the offside trap to race through only to see his drive clip the woodwork.

Nelson Mota tested Chris Sanna in the away goal, while Michael Lee tried his luck at the other end, but with the half-time whistle about to sound, the Rams found an equaliser to ease their nerves. Spencer fed the ball into the area, and Jordan Hulme nipped between two defenders to poke the ball past Sanna.

The visitors should have restored their lead just three minutes into the second half. Smalley was adjudged to have shoved Hancock off the ball, and the referee pointed to the spot. Hancock then looked on as Shenton dived low to his left to deny him his second of the night with a fine save and take at the second attempt.

That miss was to prove costly even though Witton did take the lead on 56 minutes. A low cross to the edge of the box was cleverly flicked on to Hancock, and this time the winger made no mistake as he drilled the ball through a forest of legs and in by the far post.

Osebi Abadaki raced through for the home side but was denied by Samma who palmed away the fierce drive before denying Nelson Mota with the follow-up.

Hulme saw his header clear the bar as the Rams went in search of an equaliser, but the visitors continued to look confident and could well have extended their lead with a Harvey pile-driver which sailed wide of the post.

Hulme had a long-range shot parried by Sanna, but with the minutes ticking down, it looked as though the visitors had done enough to earn the points.

The Rams, however, were not content to hand them over, and a dramatic last few minutes saw the game turned on it’s head.

Substitute Tom Williams sent in a corner from the right on 81 minutes, and Cedric Krou rose highest to head the ball home courtesy of the far post.

This seemed to inspire the home side, who decided that rather than settle for a point that had looked unlikely, they would go all out for the three.

That bold attitude paid off, for just four minutes later they grabbed the winner.

Another sub, Sam Cook, controlled the ball in the area before neatly setting up Hulme, and the latter raced on to the ball in the left-hand side of the area before sliding it past Sanna to the joy of his team-mates and the majority of the crowd.

Witton looked to rescue something from the game in the closing minutes, but the Rams defence comfortably held on as the home side grabbed another three points as they slowly come to terms with life at the new level.

Ramsbottom United: Shenton,Smalley, Pilkington, Spencer(Slaven 45mins), Howson, Krou, Abadaki, Burton, Mota(Williams 71mins), Hulme, Dean(Cook 45mins). Subs not used: Pugh, Irwin

Leave a comment