A depleted Ramsbottom United side were denied a place in the Doodson Sport Cup Final by their Yorkshire visitors, going down 2-1 to Farsley in the semi-final.

Harry Williams Riverside Stadium
Wednesday 8th April 2015
Attendance: 189

Due to the competition registration rules, the Rams were unable to field a number of regulars, and as a result were not able to field a full complement of substitutes, as manager Jon Robinson was forced to introduce a number of young squad members, none of whom let the side down.  Also making a welcome come-back was fans favourites Joel Pilkington, who had surprisingly announced his “retirement” earlier in the season.

After an early Mark Ayres header that sailed inches over the Farsley bar, the visitors took the lead on 15 minutes, and a fine individual goal it was.  Full-back Josh Grant won the ball on the left wing, before cutting inside and smashing a shot across the goal and in at the far post.

The Rams were on level terms on 32 minutes thanks to the persistence of Osebi Abadaki.  He chased a long ball into the area, before holding off four defenders, turning and unleashing a fierce drive into the bottom corner.

The same player was inches away from giving the home team the lead minutes after the break when his 20-yard effort crashed inches wide of the post, before Ayres was again denied, this time Farsley keeper Tom Taylor producing a magnificent save to tip over his goal-bound header.

The winning goal duly arrived on 52 minutes when the rams struggled to clear a corner.  The ball bobbled about in the area before landing perfectly for the on-rushing Robbie O’Brien to hammer it home from ten yards.

Moments later, the visitors so nearly extended the lead as Grant Shenton was forced into a superb stop to deny Aiden Savory.

As the home side tried to retrieve the game, Ayres again saw an effort stopped by the keeper, then Robinson’s cheeky overhead kick sailed over the bar.

Chances seemed to dry up after that with O’Brien again coming closest to notching another goal as his long range effort missed the target by inches.

So Farsley progress to an all Division North final against Warrington Town, whilst Ramsbottom United’s Season Horibilis needs urgent attention during the last few games to ensure sufficient points are garnered to ensure another season at Premier League level.

The next games are at home to Halesowen Town on Saturday (11th April) and Ashton United on Tuesday 14th.

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED team: Grant Shenton (capt), Joel Pilkington, Jon Robinson, Ian Bennett, Mark Ayres, Callum Jones, Osebi Abadaki, David Kuba-Kuba, Kyle Hardman, Lee Gaskell, Tom Brooks.  Subs: Tom Hartley (for Brooks 45mins), Jake Cliffe (for Bennett 84mins), Michael Smith, Tom Williams.

Goal: Osebi Abadaki (32 mins)

Referee: Richard Wild (Norden)


Leave a comment