Having previously won just one away game all season, without a single clean sheet, the Rams have turned this statistic around in dramatic style within four days.

Seel Park, Mossley
Tuesday 30 January 2018
Evo-Stik Integro League Cup Round 3
Attendance: 100

After their 2-0 league win at Ossett Albion on Saturday, Mark Fell’s rejuvenated side travelled to Tameside to take on a Mossley side that had proved somewhat of a bogey team in recent times, but came away on the back of a 3-0 win that propels the team into the last eight of the Integro Cup.

On a bitterly cold night, both teams attempted to play football, but the pitch sometimes proved difficult to overcome.

However, both sides created a number of chances in a game that was more equal than the scoreline would suggest.

The Rams lined up with three players making their full debuts – full-backs Jack Burgess and Tom Westall, along with midfielder Chris Rushworth – and the first chance of the night fell to Rushworth in the first minute when his 25-yard shot just cleared the bar.

Minutes later Mossley almost took the lead when a superb free-kick from Fish skimmed the outside of Sam Ashton’s left hand post.

Jerome Wright had the chance to open the scoring when played through on the left, but his wild effort missed the target, then at the other end, a header from a corner by McLellan fell just wide of the post.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 27th minute, and what a goal it was.

Eddie Moran who was outstanding in midfield, collected the ball some 30 yards from goal and left fly with an exocet shot that gave the despairing Martin in the home goal absolutely no chance of stopping.  A ‘goal of the season’ contender if ever there was one.

The Rams took that slender lead in at half-time, whilst the hosts, playing down the slope took a firmer grip of the game after the break.

Former Ram Jack Tuohy should have done better when, unmarked, he headed a left-wing cross wide, and Fisher did the same moments later, much to the relief of the Rams defence who were coming under increasing pressure.

On 85 minutes, though, the visitors finally created some breathing space when the ever-dangerous Jerome Wright sped down the left hand side before crossing for Chris Rushworth to open his account for the club – a fitting reward for an encouraging full debut.

As the clock ticked to 90 minutes, Wright put the result beyond doubt, although how the ball squeezed in was anybody’s guess.  He raced to the by-line, past his marker, and as he put in what looked like a dangerous low cross, the ball ended up over the line by the far post.

So that’s two away victories and two away clean sheets within the space of four days.

Has the unlucky streak finally come to an end?

Time will tell.


Leave a comment